Escape Pod

An Airstream renovation project

Sunday, February 21, 2010

You will love this trailer, my friend.

I acquired my Airstream back in August of 2009. I had decided several months before that I wanted an Airstream, and found that the only way I could afford one was to buy a vintage model. I trolled through craigslist.org postings daily. The stories behind each one were always fascinating to hear. "I traded my El Camino for this thing thinking I was gonna do somethin' with it, but I ain't got time." Or, "This is my wife's. She went to Japan. I don't think I'll ever see her again, so I'm selling the trailer." And even, "I found this thing on the side of the road. I was gonna use it for scrape metal, but then someone said I had an Airstream and that they were worth a lot of money. I don't see why." All good stories. But the story behind mine is my favorite.

The "owners" were a band of Romanian gypsies. They first told me they bought the trailer to live in on a construction site. Then they said they bought it for their daughter, and she decided she didn't want it. The final story I got was probably the closest to the truth. They got the trailer from an old man and just wanted to sell it for money.

The gypsies were a friendly bunch. They addressed me as "my friend." I started counting how many times they said it. Somewhere around 23. "There are no leaks, my friend." "It tows like a dream, my friend." "We take only cash and we take it today, my friend."

I really didn't care about who I was buying it from, as long as it was legal. This Airstream had everything I was looking for: all glass single-pane windows, no major dents, no frame damage, center bath and an L-lounge sofa area. So, I told the gypsies I would take it. I got the title signed over to me, then we signed a few bogus documents they had handwritten out on notepaper to make it seem more legit and the old Airstream was mine, my friend.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home